Landscaping Edmonton: An In-depth Look
Edmonton, the capital of Alberta, Canada is surrounded by the central district. It is the second largest city in the province of Alberta and the fifth largest municipality in Canada. This metropolitan city is known as the “Gateway to the North” due to its large-scale projects in oil and diamond mining. The development sector of landscaping Edmonton provides its residents, include various environmental-friendly design ideas.
The land surrounding the city is flat with slightly rolling hills, ravines, creeks, and river valleys. This city has the longest stretch of attached urban parks in North America. The neighborhood of Edmonton consists of urban municipalities, suburban sectors with large residential areas. There are a number of ongoing developments in the commercial districts as well as residential communities including low, medium, high rise apartments, and townhouses.
Landscaping helps improve the aesthetic value of a piece of land through modifications of the land features such as the addition of plants, alterations in the terrain, and construction designs among many others. It involves planning, layout, and building structures to enhance the overall appearance of a land area.
Vision for a Sustainable Community
It takes a lot to build a successful and thriving community. One of the sectors that provide maintenance and support to the overall appearance of the city is implemented through the urban planning division. Edmonton is a vibrant and dynamic city with a vision of becoming a sustainable city. In order to achieve this goal, the city has defined a set of design guidelines to help grow and build a better community.
These guidelines include the physical structures in urban municipalities to encourage communities to develop innovative concept and designs. These are used by developers, planners, builders, consultants, and residents. As part of Edmonton’s sustainable plan, an eco-friendly landscape design aims to minimize the use of wasteful resources in the residential community.
Eco-friendly Landscaping Edmonton
In support of this plight, commercial and residential owners are conserving their water supply, preserving their greenery, and cultivating their soil. Some prefer to use recycled materials including reclaimed metal, damaged concrete, and solar powered supplies. A sustainable landscape design is good for the environment, requires less maintenance, and can help save you money especially on utility bills.
An eco-friendly landscaping is not limited when it comes to design, planning, and development. In fact, contrary to that, there are many options and possibilities we can develop to improve the condition of your building or home without using harmful chemicals that only damage the environment. By using sustainable resources, we can help reduce the use of chemical fertilizers and lessen your water consumption.
The Future of Landscaping Edmonton
The City of Edmonton is considering different techniques on how to encourage residents to use natural and sustainable ways to design their landscape. A natural approach is specifically geared towards using native plants in order to maximize its strength as opposed to a high maintenance of manicured lawns. Researchers are now studying the benefits of natural vegetation and how it can improve the landscaping Edmonton standards.
There have been discussions on the dry climate and weather of Edmonton and if landscape designers should study its effect on the current landscaping guidelines. It is also mentioned how property owners can be encouraged to transform and naturalize their lawns. Naturalization should be considered by property owners.
Native plants are more suitable and can adapt better to the local weather, climate, and soil. They are able to thrive and survive with lesser maintenance. Some examples of naturalized landscapes include the Whitemud Freeway and Rundle Park.
Some residents have been practicing this method in certain areas in the city. However, there is a need to push this concept further to increase the awareness of naturalization in other areas. Naturalization provides numerous benefits that directly affect our economy and environment as well. Plus, it lowers the maintenance costs.
The naturalization approach to landscaping Edmonton states that your grass should be able to grow naturally without having to regularly upkeep your lawn. Native Alberta trees can help create a diverse ecosystem where many of these local plantations also bear fruits. There is also a variety of local vegetation in Alberta. Since the coverage of landscaping Edmonton contains a combination of grasslands, wetlands, and forests, there are a lot of native plants you can use on your land property.
Zoning Bylaws in City of Edmonton
The Zoning Bylaw in the City of Edmonton states that residential owners are required to landscape properties that are visible from the road including front and side yards. New homes are given a year a half from occupancy to finish the project. All property owners are obliged to follow a common set of standard rules and regulations in landscaping. These guidelines help maintain the high standard of Edmonton to ensure that the city is safe and abundant for the residents to live in.
The Zoning Bylaw strictly allows specific materials to be used for landscaping.
- Sod or grass seed
- Shale or washed gravel
- Plants, trees, and shrubs
- Flower beds or cultured gardens
- Decorative bricks or stones
- Walls or fences
- Outdoor furniture
The landscaping guidelines are mainly applied to the front and side yards while backyards can be converted to patios, decks, fire pits, hot tubs, and basketball courts. There are usually no mandatory permits necessary but you will be asked to apply for one if you are constructing a fence, gazebo, deck, or water system.
Driveway and Walkway
The driveway and walkway must be covered with concrete or asphalt and must lead straight to your front door. The measurement of the driveway is determined by the number of parking slots in the garage. The standard size must be at least 3.1 meters wide with a maximum of 3.1 meters per parking slot.
Pick a selection of plants and greenery that can grow well in the local climate and condition that you can use for landscaping Edmonton designs.
A well-positioned line of evergreens can provide shelter and protection from a windy weather and a sunny climate. Plus, it looks visually appealing to the eye as well.
In order to maintain a manicured lawn, property owners are required to water their lawns with 2.5 centimeters of water per week. This produces a beautiful and green grass area.
Soil and Compost
Make sure that the soil you use on your land has a good quality and contains organic matter including compost. A compost basket can be used to create a natural fertilizer made from household leftovers.
Mulching or a protective covering is usually made from an organic material including leaves, straws, and plants. It helps prevent the development of weeds and evaporation of moisture. Property owners should allow a minimum of 15 centimeters of soil for lawns and 30 to 45 centimeters for shrubs.
Irrigation and Rainwater
We recommend using automatic shut-off devices and equipment. Check if the irrigation systems have low volume nozzles. Gather rainwater in a container and use it to irrigate your garden or lawn.
Benefits of Landscaping
Picture having a lush green environment surrounded with blossoming flowers and canopy of trees. What a beautiful image right? A superb landscape may be pleasing to the eyes but more than its aesthetic appeal, it provides numerous benefits for both people and the environment.
A healthy landscape serves as a good foundation for a healthy and active lifestyle. It is also good for the neighborhood and community. Overall, it helps improve our quality of life.
Plants and Trees
- An environment surrounded by nature directly affects people’s lives, mental and physical health. Studies show that it helps improve your memory and attention, reduces signs of stress and blood pressure.
- According to a research conducted by the U.S. Forest Service, neighborhood areas with trees in their properties have lower crime rates.
- Tree canopies helps minimize noise pollution over hard surfaces such as concrete and pavement.
Landscapes and Greenery
- It increases the value of your property and makes it more appealing to prospective buyers. People are willing to pay more for properties located in a green environment with plants, trees, and gardens.
- Based on surveys, consumers prefer visiting places with a lush green landscape and garden. They spend more time in such places and exert more effort to travel to it.
- Another study suggests that commercial spaces with high-quality and well-maintained landscapes have more expensive rental costs.
- It allows more privacy for commercial and residential owners.
- Grass acts as a natural coolant. It is cooler than a having a bare soil and asphalt. It helps clean the air especially since it harbors dust, smoke, and other pollutants. Plus it absorbs carbon dioxide and converts it into oxygen.
- Lawns absorb excess water which prevents puddles of water from forming. It protects water sources from unhealthy runoffs.
- Trees provide shades in your homes and significantly minimizes the heat and temperature that directly affects your roof and attic. It controls the temperature making it cooler during summer and warmer during winter.
- It prevents outdoor pests and insects from spreading diseases, bacteria, and virus to people and pets. We suggest using pest control for protection and maintenance.
Basic Elements of Landscaping
The basic elements of landscaping Edmonton design includes several factors:
- Color – It is one of the most important elements in landscaping. Color livens up the entire lawn or garden. You can add a splash of color by using flowers, plants, and trees to create a dynamic and vibrant look. You can also use hard materials such as fences, bricks, and stones to build contrast and depth.
Some properties follow a color scheme to tie-up all the visual elements into a cohesive design. Color helps draw attention to a structure or a focal point. It also helps attract wildlife such as birds and butterflies among many others.
The color you pick sets the tone and mood of your place. A playful color scheme embodies high-energy and a creative vibe. The naked eye is more drawn to warm colors rather than cool tones.
Warm colors should be placed in a certain arrangement such as red to orange to bronze to yellow. Always use complementing colors throughout the lawn.
- Texture – A texture creates variety in any landscape. You can use plants with different features such as lightness, thickness, coarseness, and smoothness of the leaves, branch or bark and mix them up together. Another option is to build hard materials such as pavements to accent your greenery.
When creating a texture, you must learn to balance the landscape elements. The weight should be equal to the other side for a smooth transition. Your design should not be too heavy on one side.
- Line – Lines act as the structure to your landscape such as the edge of your path, walkway or the surrounding of your deck. Vertical lines tend to create an illusion of a bigger space such as trees. A horizontal line can also make the space look bigger by lining and accenting the walkways or garden walls.
A linear design helps create a focal point in your landscape design. Straight lines create a more formal appearance while angular lines serve as the framework of your design. Curved lines represent a more dramatic, casual approach, and are more visually pleasing.
- Form – A form refers to the natural shape of an object or a plant. It can also create various shape, sizes, and patterns in your landscape. There are certain plants that grow and spread vertically while some horizontally.
Some shrubs can be used as a hedge in between two structures. You can also create a silhouette using hanging plants to soften and add accent to the lines. A formal garden should have more tailored and structured forms while a casual garden can have a more natural and flowing form.
- Scale – Your overall design should reflect a balance within the structure or greenery surrounding your landscape. The design should maintain a good proportion in terms of the size and how it affects the entire layout. It requires using measurement and dimensions on your land area.
To determine if your scale is appropriate, you need to identify if the sizes of your materials and objects are appropriate in your setting. Always consider the size of your house or building as well as your lawn or yard.
- Focal point – A highlight or focal point in your landscape design can be in the form of a structure or a fountain, a sculpture, tree, or a cluster of plants. Your focal point should draw the interest of your visitors. It should be strategically placed in a location where the eye will automatically go directly to it. Trees, plants, fountains or structures should be positioned in the center within eye level.
You can also add supporting elements to highlight your focal point. It can help tie-in together the entire concept of your design. However, they should provide less impact than the focal point so they won’t clash together.
- Sequence – A sequence creates a pleasing visual movement and flow in your landscape design. It could be done using a combination of plants to form a certain pattern. You need to properly select the type of plants and materials you are going to use.
Start by displaying low plants in your foreground and place the taller plants in the background. This way you are forming a sequence and pattern in doing the layout of your plants.
- Grouping – Once you determine the proper sequence in your layout design, you should be able to form a grouping of plants to create harmony. When grouping the plants together, you should also consider the scaling of your landscape. You can divide the group by color, texture, and form.
Grouping your plants or shrubs together in 3’s or 5’s can produce a more attractive symmetry in your overall look. You should place together plants that more or less have the same requirements and maintenance need. There are some plants that are not recommended to sit together.
- Variety – Adding variety to your design will create a more appealing and interesting look. It spices up the appearance and feel of your landscape. A variety of colors, textures, lines, and forms can help you achieve a beautiful and creative design.
Just be careful when combining your plants and materials. Avoid overplanting and over-decorating your garden.
- Balance – It can either be in the form of symmetrical or asymmetrical lines. In using symmetrical lines, the mass and weight of the plants or objects should equally balance the other side. The lines should be similar and the edges should be defined.
Asymmetrical lines, on the other hand, allows irregular placement of plants and objects but should still project a balance on both sides. The use of curved lines and shapes provide an asymmetrical balance in your design.
Landscaping Design Ideas
If you are looking for ideas and designs for landscaping Edmonton houses, here are some great concepts that will spark your creativity. A strong design concept will significantly improve the overall look and feel of your house. There are a number of ways to create an inviting atmosphere in your home.
You can add color, texture, accents and construct a functional outdoor living space that you and your gusts can enjoy. We crafted some ideas and suggestions on how to build an attractive residential landscape.
- Flowers and Vines – Planting flowers in your front yard, walkway, and entrance is a great way to welcome and greet your visitors. Create an assortment using different types of flowers with various colors. You can line your fence with flowers to make your façade more attractive looking.
Small and fragrant flowers deserve a prime spot in your home. They provide a warm and inviting feel to your house. We recommend using Peruvian Lilies, Forget-Me-Not, Lavender, and Daisies.
You can let vines crawl on the fence, shrubs, and perennials. We suggest you use Clematis as it blooms into shades of blue, red, white, pink or purple. It is one of the most popular and attractive flower vines. The best time to plant Clematis is during spring or fall season when the weather is cool.
- Baskets and Planters – Add some layers and dimensions in your front yard using hanging baskets, elevated planters, and flowerpots. An inverted planter grows plants and flowers upside down and is watered from the top. Create a spiller where plants can hang over the edges such as begonias and mix it with eye-catching flowers in the center. This adds variety to your overall look.
- Camouflage unattractive areas – Some workspaces such as sheds and garages may be an eye sore but learning how to camouflage it with the background will do wonders. We suggest adding planks to the entrance create a shelf where you can put flowerpots. Another recommendation is to hide the unattractive parts of your house with planters and flowers.
- Create a sanctuary – You can design and build a small sanctuary in your backyard where you can retreat to for relaxation. A garden with a small fountain or waterway will definitely help ease your mind. Make this sanctuary a place where you can sit down and chill with your family and friends.
- Decorate your Driveway – Pick the right materials to dress-up your driveway. We suggest you shape and line up your driveway with flowers and perennials from the start of your driveway to your front door. This will give your house a curb appeal.
Landscaping Edmonton commercial properties do not have to be expensive. A simple building with a beautiful landscape will definitely attract and add warmth to the environment. Some property owners tend to underestimate how landscaping affects and impacts their employees and customers’ experience. A nice and attractive workplace promotes a better working environment for the employees.
Here are some ideas to get you started on improving the appearance of a commercial building or establishment without breaking the bank.
- Highlight the entrance to the building – A well-thought of commercial landscape design should draw attention to the main entrance of the building. This way people can immediately recognize your establishment with one look. The entrance should look and feel warm and inviting where visitors will feel welcomed. Pick a color that will highlight and enhance the entrance or line the pathway with plants and flowers.
- Create a focal point – A focal point in your landscape will draw attention to your building or structure. The highlight can be your entrance to the establishment, a statue or signage. A splash of vibrant color can do the job.
A cleaner and more polished landscape generate a more positive feedback from your visitors. The upkeep of your facility directly reflects your company. After all, first impressions last.
- Make sure your elements complement each other – Your landscape should enhance the building’s architecture. Don’t combine too many elements or it will look too confusing. The structure’s shape, color, size, and dimension should act as your basis and foundation when creating an idea.
- Pick low maintenance designs – When creating a landscaping design, you should plan ahead with your landscaping Edmonton designer and identify the steps you need to take in order to maintain it. Don’t choose high upkeep because it will only eat up your time, energy, and money in the long run. Always plan and envision how you can carry out your landscape during all seasons. By laying out a maintenance plan, you will be able to avoid unforeseen problems and expenses that may come along the way.
- Use sustainable materials – Sustainable materials significantly reduce the need for excess water supply to save more energy and maintenance costs. We recommend using rain barrels so you can reuse water for your garden and lawn. This way you are also saving money.
You can also use native plants in your landscape design so that it has better chances of surviving in your city’s climate and condition. This requires less maintenance compared to other plants and flowers.
Seasonal Landscaping Edmonton Services
As the season of spring blooms, it is also time for a spring clean-up in your lawn. A healthy lawn can be achieved through proper maintenance and care. Since the previous winter season has probably left the soil compacted, you need to clean, cut, and fertilize your lawn to make way for a brand new season.
During spring, the weather may be warm but not hot. You can expect many debris left lying around from the snow. As the days go by, you will notice how your grass grows greener each day.
It is also time for you to check on any damages the snow may have incurred in your lawn. Some shrubs may not survive during the cold winter nights. You should also start pruning your shrubs
Remove mulch so the flowers can breathe fresh air and add compost minimize the weeds in your garden.
During summertime, your lawn needs proper care and maintenance. This includes trimming and laying new sod and cultivating the dense soil and grass. The hot weather produces a high temperature, moisture, and pests which creeps on the root system of the grass.
Check your trees for dead branches to avoid accidents from happening. Cut down any signs of hanging limbs. Trim the grass and bushes that within close proximity to your house. Untrimmed bushes can be a breeding ground for pests and insects.
Don’t cut your grass shorter than at least three and a half inches. A taller grass has longer roots which makes it strong enough to combat heat and drought. It also retains the moisture in the soil during especially during this hot season.
If the weather is continuously dry and hasn’t rained for weeks, use a hose to water down your trees. Do this once a week until the net rainfall. It is important to water your plants regularly.
Fall season requires you to trim, prune, replant, and weed out your lawn. A fall clean-up helps eliminate dead trees and plants to make way for the next season. Regularly rake and sweep-off falling leaves and patch-up brown spots in your lawn.
You can also start to plant shrubs in time for the season’s cool weather and moist soil. A decomposed layer of organic mulch will help keep new plantations warm and controls soil erosion.
Winter season requires sanding, snow removal and ice-melting services especially in driveways and sidewalks. A clean sidewalk prevents you from getting fines.
Evergreens are suitable during the winter season. They act as good focal point not just during winter but for all seasons. They come in hues of green, yellow, blues, and everything in between.
Another idea is to use a hardscape in your design idea. Winter season is a great time to build and enhance your landscape with sculptures, water features or outdoor furniture. It acts as an accent to your lawn.
Erosion control is the practice of preventing, limiting or controlling erosion caused by wind or water. This includes the sectors in agriculture, land development, construction, mining, oil and gas, coastal areas, and riverbanks. An efficient erosion control directly affects our environment and prevents water pollution, habitat loss, and soil damage.
Erosion control is widely used in urban areas and often involves planting vegetation, building rocks or creating barriers to absorb wind or water energy that causes the erosion. It also involves developing storm drains, basins, and fences.
Temporary and Permanent Measures
There are two kinds of categories: temporary and permanent. They both control erosion, however, the temporary method is often used during construction and is eventually removed after completion or is replaced by a permanent measure. A temporary method includes seeding, mulching, straw barriers, permeable barriers, slope texturing, silt fence, and coverings.
A permanent method, on the other hand, includes rock check, gabion cages, berm interceptor, sediment pond, and retaining walls.
How to Control Soil Erosion
Erosion takes place whenever the top layer of soil is stripped off. It makes it difficult to grow anything on the soil. It can turn a thriving land into a dull piece of soil which sometimes results in landslides.
It is possible to control soil erosion depending on the severity of the condition of the soil. Here are some principles you can follow:
- Use the land based on its capability.
- Protect the soil surface using a cover.
- Control runoff before it becomes an erosive force.
The easiest way to prevent soil erosion is to grow some vegetation using temporary and permanent methods. Seeding is one of the most common ways to do vegetation. Another method is to use hydroseeding or hydro-mulching which involves mixing a slurry in a hydroseeder and a combination of seed, organic material, fertilizer, and water. This aids in the vegetation process.
Factors that Contribute to Soil Erosion
There are several factors that contribute to the cause of erosion. Becoming aware of these factors will help you identify the source so you can come up with a plan to control it.
Here are some factors that contribute to soil erosion:
- Surface cover
- Soil characteristics
Signs of Soil Erosion
Check your land regularly for any signs of soil erosion. Once you detect any indication, make sure you act on it accordingly before the situation worsens. Here are some warning signs of soil erosion:
- The best time to check the soil is right after a heavy rain or storm.
- Check for areas that have been used by construction. It is usually found in areas near water pipes under a trail.
- Look for areas that don’t produce any vegetation such as hillsides and you might see signs of soil buildup.
- Notice the placement of exposed rocks or roots. If they seem to be getting bigger, the soil may be receding underneath.
- Check for channels where water and wind may possibly cut into the soil. This should be addressed as soon as possible.
- Dirty water often means that the soil may possibly be eroding.
Hydroseeding or also known as hydro-mulching used a slurry of mulch and seed. It is used for the control of soil erosion on construction sites. Hydroseeding is used as an alternative to sowing dry seed. Hydroseeding is becoming a popular choice among homeowners, commercial land owners, and landscaping designers because it is easy to use and efficient.
This method can be completed in a short period and can be used on hillsides or slopes. It usually costs less than using sod and can grow grass in as quick as one week. A fiber mulch increases the growth process by keeping the moisture in the seeds.
The right amount of mulch applied produces faster germination and insulation from extreme temperature to protect the soil from erosion. The hydroseeding slurry can be modified with different substances to aid in the growth of the seed.
Types of Hydroseeding Mulches
There are different types of hydroseeding mulches which usually comes in 40 to 50-pound bales. Most are in a compressed bale while some are manufactured through a special process. There are various hydroseeding applications which are differentiated by the mulch used.
Here are the different types of mulch included in a hydroseed slurry:
- Wood Mulch – This type of mulch is beneficial for the environment and is more economical especially since it is easily available, quick to apply and remove. You can use it as a compost or apply it directly to the soil.
Wood mulch helps retain moisture by covering the soil with 2 inches. It slows down the evaporation of moisture from the soil. Wood chips block the sun keeping the cool temperature of the soil. At the same time, since the wood chips are covering the soil, the weeds have a hard time growing underneath.
Wood chips allow water to infiltrate the soil. The decomposition comes at different rates which create a diverse soil environment. A wood bark is an effective type of mulch and is recommended for garden use. Make sure you place it away from trees to avoid rotting.
- Paper Mulch – Similar to organic mulches, a paper mulch is efficient in seed protection. By distributing the shredded paper over your flower bed can prevent the weeds from growing. It also controls soil temperature and improves fertilization.
A wet and shredded newspaper laid over the flower bed speeds up the decomposition and allows the water and fertilizer to reach the soil. A cardboard is another type of paper mulch that you can use. However, it is a more difficult to apply.
A straw can also be used as an alternative. Place a thick layer of newspaper under a bundle of straw. This can also prevent weeds from forming.
Snow Control in Landscaping Edmonton
January is the coldest month of the winter season in Edmonton and the city experiences an average of 48.6 inches of snow every year. We offer ice and snow removal and clearing in walkways, sidewalks, roads, parking lots, and pedestrian streets.
Our snow removal includes clearing, plowing, and hauling snow. We also apply sanding, and ice melters to control the ice. City of Edmonton requires you to comply with the bylaws for a safe environment.
We are committed to help the City of Edmonton become safe for its residents and vehicles. An efficient snow and ice control allows the city to continue its day to day function during the winter season.
How to Remove Snow
Winter time also means shovel time in landscaping Edmonton. However, here are some tips on how to clean-up snow easier the safe way.
- Snow Blower – When using the speed of your blower, it is important for you to find the right amount of speed. If it’s too slow or too fast, your blower will not work effectively. A bigger blower may also be more difficult to maneuver.
When clearing a certain area, make sure your stick to one particular property only. If you are clearing the driveway, don’t alternate it with another area. Otherwise, you might end up blowing snow on a clear path.
Do not direct your blower towards other objects. Turn it off when not in use. Always practice safety measures to prevent accidents from happening.
- Shovel – This is a traditional way of removing snow using manual labor. You need to shovel every few inches of snow. This may be the easiest and simplest method of clearing snow.
You can start by pushing away the snow towards the edges then use the shovel to lift the snow and pile it on the edge. Pick a shovel that works for you best. Make sure you are using the right size and it is not too heavy for you to lift. It is better to start in the middle and work your way towards the sides.
Ice Control in Landscaping Edmonton
There are different types of ice control you can use. Here are some examples:
- Sand or Rockchips – It helps prevent slips from occurring but it doesn’t control the buildup of ice.
- Salt – This is probably the cheapest way to melt ice. However, it isn’t effective in cold temperatures. It is not good for the environment and tends to damage the grass and concrete pavements.
- Ice Melt – There are several types of ice melting products available. Unlike salt, ice melts are more environmentally-friendly. They are sidewalk friendly and does not harm the vegetation.
- Liquid Calicum Chloride – This is a newer method for ice control and is by far the best option available to control ice.
Just spread it evenly and thinly over the surface. An excess amount may destroy your pavement. Different brands produce various melting points.
Snow and Ice Control in Landscaping Edmonton
According to landscaping Edmonton bylaws, a resident must maintain the sidewalk adjacent to their property and keep it clear of snow and ice. They must also keep their roof free of snow and ice especially on the parts that extends over the road.
After a snowfall, citizens of Edmonton are required to clear the sidewalks adjacent to their home or building within 48 hours. The residents are held responsible for cleaning the area surrounding their property including their driveway, sidewalks, and even vacant lots beside their house.
Any remnants of snow and ice left on the sidewalk is dangerous for anyone who walks on it. It poses a threat to the safety of the citizens as it may cause accidents and injuries from falling or sliding.
How to Clear your Sidewalks
- Plan – A proper planning should include a list of proper tools you need to upkeep your sidewalks. Make sure you stock up on supplies such as a sand, shovel, and ice chipper. This will help you get through the winter season.
- Practice Safety Measures – Follow the necessary steps to keep yourself safe before clearing your walkway. Make sure you are properly fit to use a shovel. Don’t attempt to continue if you have back pains. Check with your doctor first before you proceed.
Dress accordingly for the weather. Wear warm clothes, boots, and gloves. Take a break every 10 to 15 minutes to avoid continuous strain on your back.
- Shovel – Find the most appropriate shovel for you. Usually, the best kinds are those with small blades with a good handling grip. The trick is to push the snow while you shovel rather than lifting it.
Avoid filling up your shovel with too much snow. Instead, use a small shovel and push at least half of it. When shoveling always keep your back straight and bend your knees. This will lessen the stress on your spine.
If the snow is sticking to your shovel, try spreading the surface with cooking oil. Always clear the snow as soon as the snowfall is done. It prevents from turning the snow into ice which will be harder for you to remove.
How to Clear Ice
- Warm Weather – It is better to clear the ice during daytime when the weather is warm. The temperature makes the ice softer and easier to remove. You can use a shovel to take it out.
- Pile snow in a safe location – Make sure you place it away from the sidewalk or any area that can be affected as soon as the snow and ice melts. In landscaping Edmonton regulations, dumping snow on public property is prohibited.
- Spread sand over the icy surface – This will prevent people from sliding or falling over the ice when passing by the sidewalk. If you spread it before the snow forms into ice, it can make the ice easier to eradicate. Prior to spreading, you can also try heating it in the microwave to make it more effective.
How to Choose the Best Landscaping Edmonton Company
There are a number of elements you need to consider when it comes to picking the right landscaping company to work with. Although your main focus is probably on the idea and concept of the overall design, there are other aspects you need to factor in. Here are some of the following:
- Vision – Your landscape designer should have a clear vision and should not fall short on creative ideas and concepts. Choose a company with an innovative approach.
- Skills – Pick a company that is tried and tested in the industry. See to it that they can execute your vision and design successfully.
- Reliability – A good reputable company must be reliable. Check their portfolio and read their customer reviews. It can help you decide on whether the company’s working style will match your requirements.
- Cost – It is understandable that you’d prefer a company that charges low-cost. However, a cheaper rate doesn’t always translate to good quality. Be transparent with your designer on what you can afford and work together so that you can both come up with a suitable design that will fit both your vision and your budget.
About Eco Groundworks
Our company started in 2001 and have been providing services to the citizens of Edmonton for more than a decade already. We are a mid-sized landscaping and construction company.
At Eco Groundworks, we specialize in Commercial/Civil Landscaping, Hydroseeding and Erosion, Reclamation and Clean Up, Snow and Ice Control, Earthworks, Fencing, and Wildfire. We also offer other professional services including Project and Construction Management, Surveying, and Environmental Consulting.
Since our employees have various backgrounds in construction and landscaping Edmonton, we are confident that we can meet and suit your needs through our vast knowledge and experience. We continuously find ways to come up with techniques in the most efficient, safe, and cost-effective way. We provide our customers with high-quality service using both traditional and innovative methods.
You may contact us for any of your landscaping requirements. Visit our website at www.ecogroundworks.ca or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact us at 780-757-0644 for more information and details.